At a certain point in your relationship you realize it’s getting pretty serious (you already know my opinion on “serious relationships” but in case you are there ), and you think that it is about time for your parents to meet you boyfriend. If that ever occurs to you, my advice is ABORT MISSION. Otherwise you should be prepared to the following:
- Your boyfriend will undergo a series of tests for a background check and will be a figure in a comparison chart with all the husbands, fiancées and boyfriends of all the girls in the familia. The chart includes education, wealth, family background…
- In case he passed the test he will be referred to as the groom to be, “El-3aris”.
- He will be invited and expected at all Family gatherings. In case he was not able to make it you better cover up with a good alibi, otherwise expect interrogations.
- You will be asked about the Wedding date (even though they already made all necessary arrangements), and you better have an answer! Otherwise this relationship is not serious!
- In case you thought about breaking up, you should know that you’d have some explanation to do. And don’t even think that a simple “we were not meant for one another” would cut it for them because they are after the horrifying details.
So unless he already proposed and you are getting married in a couple of months your parents better not know of your boyfriend’s existence.